Hunting is a profession in many states of America. Hunting is done for several purposes. This includes hunting animals for food or their fur. Hunters hunt in New Hampshire too. They must learn the laws to trap and chase squirrels in New Hampshire.
The authorities ensure hunters get proper licenses before they start hunting. Moreover, the hunters must know all the rules and regulations beforehand.
In this blog, you will read about the squirrels which are legal to hunt in New Hampshire. Moreover, you will also get to know about the open season of squirrels. Furthermore, you will know how to trap and hunt squirrels down.
- 1 Squirrel Types Found In New Hampshire
- 2 Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt In New Hampshire?
- 3 Squirrels Hunting Season In New Hampshire
- 4 Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In New Hampshire
- 5 Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels New Hampshire
- 6 How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In New Hampshire?
- 7 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In New Hampshire?
- 8 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In New Hampshire?
- 9 Wrapping It Up
Squirrel Types Found In New Hampshire
New Hampshire is a land full of squirrels. One can witness various varieties of them.
American Red Squirrel
The American Red squirrels are aggressive. They are present in the coniferous forests of New Hampshire. Some hunters also search them out in deciduous forests. The American red squirrels love to feed on sweet food. That is why they are attracted to the sugar from the sap in the trees. Hence, it is easy to locate them.
Northern Flying Squirrels
The northern flying squirrels usually make it in four years. The owls hunt them down to eat at night. The north-flying squirrels have light brown furs with black eyes. Furthermore, they are nocturnal. That is why the hunters have to go at night to hunt them down mainly.
Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt In New Hampshire?
There are some squirrels that are legal to hunt. On the contrary, it is not permissible to hunt others.
- The authorities permit the hunting of grey squirrels in New Hampshire. The state wildlife laws classify them as game animals. Furthermore, hunters can trap these squirrels in the open season.
- It is also permissible to kill the American red fox squirrels.
- It is not legal to kill flying squirrels. This is because hunting is not permissible during the late hours of the night.
- The state wildlife laws also permit hunting ground squirrels in New Hampshire.
Squirrels Hunting Season In New Hampshire
Like every other state in America, New Hampshire also has a particular hunting season. Hunters from all over America come down to hunt the squirrels. The non-residents can also hunt in New Hampshire if they have a license.
The hunting season starts on 1st September. Unlike the rest of the states, the hunting season ends at the start of January. This means hunters only have four months to hunt for their desired squirrels. The authorities issue a license to those who come down to New Hampshire for hunting activities.
Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In New Hampshire
In New Hampshire, you can only trap squirrels in ways approved by authorities.
- Only those hunters who can trap squirrels have a license.
- Hunters can only trap squirrels in the open season.
- The maximum limit for trapping squirrels is 5 per day.
- Authorities permit the use of live cages for trapping squirrels.
- The hunters cannot use body-gripping traps for hunting down the squirrels in New Hampshire.
- In New Hampshire, it is not permissible to bait wildlife squirrels on someone else’s property. Furthermore, the hunter must first get the permit from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and then act accordingly.
Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels New Hampshire
Many laws govern the shooting and hunting of squirrels in New Hampshire. They are as follows:
- The hunters can start hunting half hour before sunrise.
- The hunters can hunt till the sun goes down.
- Hunters cannot hunt during the night.
- Each hunter should have their license while hunting.
- The hunters must only use those weapons which the authorities approve for hunting.
- The hunters must keep in mind the dates during which their license expires. That is why they should immediately apply for a new one.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In New Hampshire?
You can hunt and shoot in New Hampshire in many ways. It is done by:
- The hunters usually use the 0.22 rifle gun to kill squirrels in New Hampshire.
- The authorities do not allow hunters to use archery equipment for hunting.
- Using a slingshot to aim at the squirrels is also not permissible.
- Many hunters also use BB guns for hunting down squirrels in forest areas. However, this is not permissible in New Hampshire. Furthermore, the authorities can impose fines on users.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In New Hampshire?
No, it is not permissible to shoot squirrels with a pellet gun in New Hampshire. To possess pellet guns, you have to be over the age of 18. Once you are over the age of 18, authorities issue a license to you.
However, you can hunt other animals in Hampshire by using a pellet gun. You cannot chase squirrels specifically by using pellet guns.
A person cannot have loaded weapons in a residential or public area. The authorities have these strict regulations to ensure the safety of the masses. A hunter can only hunt in the forests and not otherwise.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In New Hampshire?
Yes, it is legal to shoot squirrels on property in New Hampshire. However, there are some conditions for this. For instance, grey squirrels become protected animals once the hunting season elapses. You cannot kill them or trap them during that time of the year.
The authorities permit the killing of squirrels only if the hunters follow the rules set by the Game Department. For hunting on private property, you need permission from the owner. Once you have the permit; you can hunt down the squirrels in the open season and not otherwise.
Wrapping It Up
On the whole, the hunters need to know which squirrels can be hunted and which cannot. The hunters must know all the rules and regulations regarding hunting well. Furthermore, they must have a license before they set out to hunt.
It is permissible to hunt squirrels only during the open season. This keeps the population of squirrels in a safe range. Furthermore, the hunters must use firearms as approved by authorities. They must also take care not to hunt near residential areas. Overall, the laws in New Hampshire are less stringent and hunters can do as they please. The hunters also cannot hunt on private lands off-season.