Suppose you belong to the State of Delaware and are experiencing a squirrel problem. You may have seen property damage but are looking for a way to find a legal solution to it. To get rid of squirrels in Delaware, you must be aware of the laws to trap and hunt squirrels in Delaware.
In Delaware, you can only hunt if you have a permit. It is against the law to trap, hunt or relocate squirrels without seeking permission from the authorities.
In this blog, we will discuss the different types of squirrels in Delaware. Furthermore, you will get to know how to trap them and hunt them as per the laws of the State.
- 1 Squirrel Types Found In Delaware
- 2 Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt In Delaware?
- 3 Squirrels Hunting Season In Delaware
- 4 Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In Delaware
- 5 Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels Delaware
- 6 How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Delaware?
- 7 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Delaware?
- 8 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Delaware?
- 9 Wrapping It Up
Squirrel Types Found In Delaware
Many squirrels exist in Delaware. The hunters need to know about them to hunt them easily.
These squirrels live to the age of 18 years. Their maximum age limit is 12 years and six months. Male fox squirrels live less long than females. Their short life span is due to overhunting, mites, and predator birds. Fox squirrels are red and you can see them in the deciduous forests of Delaware.
Flying squirrels have the unique ability to fly. They are nocturnal. That is why they prefer coming out at night. Flying squirrels’ body clock varies from the rest of the squirrels. They look like gliders as they go from one tree to another. It is rare to spot Flying squirrels in Delaware.
Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt In Delaware?
There are many squirrels in Delaware, but hunters cannot hunt them.
- The hunters can hunt grey squirrels during the open season.
- It is not permissible to hunt flying squirrels. Hunters usually hunt them at night but the authorities do not want hunters to take any risks.
- Delaware also does not allow the hunting of red fox squirrels. Before you set out to hunt, you must look at the squirrel before shooting.
- It is also not permissible to hunt Delmaware fox squirrels in Delaware. These squirrels walk on the ground. Therefore, the hunters must take care not to shoot them down.
Squirrels Hunting Season In Delaware
The State of Delaware allows hunters to hunt during the autumn season. This particular season usually begins on 15th September and then extends till February. However, there is an additional ruling in Delaware. The hunters cannot hunt during the month of November.
This is because deer hunters are out in the woods in November. Moreover, hunters should have a license issued by the State to resume hunting in the open season. From November to February, people from all over America and abroad come for squirrel hunting. Furthermore, squirrels are a game species and their hunting is necessary.
Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In Delaware
There are many laws governing the trapping of squirrels in Delaware. The following ways are mentioned:
- Hunters can trap squirrels in cage boxes or live traps.
- The hunters must use a cage of size seven by seven by twenty-four inches for fox squirrels.
- The hunting individuals must use a five-by-five-by-half-inch cage size for the flying squirrels.
- The hunters must use six-by-six by nineteen-inch cage sizes for the red and grey squirrels.
- It is not permissible to use body-gripping traps for capturing squirrels.
- The hunters cannot relocate squirrels without seeking authorization from the authorities.
Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels Delaware
There are many laws regarding the shooting and hunting of squirrels in Delaware. The rules are mentioned below
- Hunters cannot discharge firearms within 15 feet of any public place or road.
- Hunters cannot do shooting at night.
- Hunting is not permissible in areas that fall under the authorization of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
- Hunters can only use authorized firearms for hunting down squirrels.
- The hunters cannot shoot any endangered squirrel species like the flying squirrels.
- It is not permissible to shoot on private property. However, Only those hunters can hunt who have permission to do so.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Delaware?
Squirrel shooting is done in several ways in Delaware. The authorities have approved some ways as follows:
- The hunters can use all the approved firearms for hunting in Delaware. Furthermore, this includes the use of shotguns.
- Hunters can use 0..22 rifles too.
- Rifles and shotguns are not permissible for usage in public areas.
- Hunters can also use muzzle-loading rifles if they wish to do so.
- The bag limit is about five squirrels per day in the open season.
- It is not permissible to go hunting at night as it is dangerous.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Delaware?
Yes, shooting squirrels with a pellet gun in Delaware is legal. The hunters can use air guns to hunt down the grey squirrels in Delaware. The hunters can shoot multiple pellet grains at the squirrels in the woods. However, hunting is not permissible at least 100 yards within the residential areas.
Hunters can make use of pellet guns in the hunting areas. Additionally, they can also use small-sized pellets as well as large-sized ones. Delaware is one of the few states that permit pellet guns to hunt squirrels.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Delaware?
Yes, it is legal to shoot squirrels on property in Delaware. You cannot hunt on private property in Delaware on your own. However, if the owner permits you, you can track it on the premises. It is not legal to hunt on private properties on a Sunday.
However, there are some commercial shooting preserves. The hunters can make use of them to hunt. The hunters must maintain a safe distance from the residential areas so that no person suffers from harm.
Wrapping It Up
On the whole, the state of Delaware has a series of hunting laws. The hunters first need to know about the varieties of squirrels in Delaware. Next, they need to attain a hunting license from the authorities. Moreover, The hunters can also hunt on private properties.
The hunters must keep away from the public lands or federal land. They must only use weapons that are approved by the authorities. Moreover, the hunters must make sure that they do not damage any property while hunting. Furthermore, they should abide by all hunting and trapping laws to ensure safe hunting practices.