Squirrels in the eaves and attics of CN homes can damage insulation and electrical wiring and should be removed. If you live in Connecticut and want to get rid of squirrels, you should find out what the laws are to trap and hunt squirrels in Connecticut.
In Connecticut, It’s legal to hunt and trap squirrels without a permit. However, homeowners must follow all state and local gun laws and restrictions and any other local laws that apply.
Homeowners can’t trap or shoot wildlife outside at certain times unless the animal is actively causing damage to property or putting people’s health and safety at risk. This page has much information about hunting for squirrels in Connecticut.
- 1 Squirrel Types Found In Connecticut
- 2 Which Types of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt in Connecticut?
- 3 Squirrels Hunting Season In Connecticut
- 4 Laws Governing The Hunting Of Squirrels In Connecticut
- 5 Laws Governing The Trapping and Relocating Squirrels In Connecticut
- 6 How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Connecticut?
- 7 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Connecticut?
- 8 Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Connecticut
- 9 Conclusion
Squirrel Types Found In Connecticut
The state of Connecticut is home to three distinct species of tree squirrels.
American red squirrels
The United States red squirrel measures 11 – 14 inches in length, has reddish-brown fur, and a white underbelly. Its diet of evergreen berries explains why it prefers to reside in coniferous woodlands.
In addition, it enjoys eating sunflower seeds, bird eggs, syrup, walnuts, hazelnuts, and even mice. The animal’s small size makes it easy to squeeze through the bars of a bird feeder. Use mesh with openings smaller than an inch wide to prevent entry.
Eastern Grey Squirrels
The adult Eastern grey squirrel can reach 14-21 inches, and its long, grey tail is almost as long as the rest of its body. Like the American red squirrel, the Eastern grey squirrel has a white underbelly. The tree squirrel is most at home in hardwood trees but may thrive in urban environments such as parks.
Beeches, peanuts, hickory nuts, fruits, corn, maple seeds, mushrooms, and birdseed are all favorites of the eastern grey squirrel. You can prevent these animals from accessing your bird feeders by erecting cone-shaped barriers. Instead of hanging feeders, they should be put on poles so that animals can quickly get to the food by going down the bar.
These unusual animals have skin membranes called patagia that go from their wrists to their ankles and help them glide through the treetops. Patagia can be seen on some lemurs. In the north, these grey-brown animals can grow to be 14 inches long, but they only come out at night and are rarely seen. They consume fruit, fungus, nuts, seeds, and insects.
Once inside, flying squirrels can cause damage by chewing on electrical wiring, wood, flooring, and even doors. Remove any branches touching your roof or growing close to your home to deter them. You may discourage them from coming into your yard by keeping your trash cans sealed and by purchasing predator urine. Wild creatures will run away at the scent of a bobcat.
Which Types of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt in Connecticut?
According to the state’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP):
- Depending on the species, hunting squirrels in Connecticut is legal at specific periods of the year.
- The most frequent type of squirrel found in Connecticut is the largest grey squirrel.
- Only grey squirrels are legal to hunt during the fall season.
- Hunters have the opportunity to hunt both grey and red squirrels throughout the spring season.
- No matter if you go squirrel hunting in the fall or the spring, you can only bring back six squirrels per day.
Squirrels Hunting Season In Connecticut
The state’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) sets rules for squirrel hunting in Connecticut (DEEP):
- The DEEP has set hunting seasons for squirrels, which differ for each animal.
- In Connecticut, there are two times to hunt squirrels: in the fall and spring. The fall season runs from October to November, and the spring season runs from May-June.
- Hunters can only go after grey squirrels in the fall. Hunters can go after both grey and red squirrels in the spring.
- To hunt on land that is part of a state park, you need a hunting license and a permit.
- In both the fall and the spring, you can only trap six squirrels per day.
Laws Governing The Hunting Of Squirrels In Connecticut
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) says that hunting squirrels in the state is governed by many rules. Here are just a few:
- In Connecticut, you can legally hunt for squirrels during specific times of the year.
- Only licensed hunters or land owners can shoot, and hunters must follow all laws and rules about what guns and ammunition they can use.
- In Connecticut, you can go out at night and hunt for squirrels. There are a few things to remember, though.
- First, you need a license that lets you hunt. Second, you need to know the rules about hunting hours and how much you can catch. Lastly, you should be ready for the challenge of night hunting.
- Hunting squirrels at night can be fun and rewarding if you plan and get ready for it.
- Every year, hunters and trappers in Connecticut take raccoons during the set hunting and catching seasons. This gives them something to do and helps control the number of raccoons in the area.
- Homeowners must also follow the laws about using guns during certain times of the year. These laws limit the types of weapons and ammunition used and the times when shooting is allowed.
Laws Governing The Trapping and Relocating Squirrels In Connecticut
According to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), there are different rules for catching squirrels and moving them.
- In Connecticut, it’s legal to relocate squirrels and catch them.
- You can’t trap in Connecticut if you don’t have a license.
- There is a set time of year when a registered trapper can catch a raccoon.
- If you hire a contractor to get rid of animals on your land, you should ask to see their licenses and permits before they start trapping animals.
- Raccoons that can’t be set free on the spot can’t be moved because they could get rabies and, more importantly. After all, it’s against the law in the state to do so.
- Homeowners with problems with raccoons should call a pest control expert for help because raccoons are wild animals that can be hard to predict.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Connecticut?
Connecticut Fish and Wildlife Resources says that hunters can only shoot squirrels in the fall and winter with:
- In Connecticut, you can hunt raccoons only at certain times. Even if a shooting happens, landowners must still follow the state’s hunting laws.
- No one can ever catch, hunt, kill, or try to kill a raccoon in a state wildlife refuge or a closed area.
- Furthermore, it is illegal to capture, hunt, shoot, or kill any animal in a roadway close to state-owned, leased, or managed property.
- The best place to put cage traps for raccoons is as close as possible to a hole or damage.
- To make it less likely that you’ll catch animals, you didn’t mean to, bait the traps with tasty things like fruit, marshmallows, or jam.
- Spread a small amount of bait within the trap door, then place a small amount of appeal beneath the trap’s trigger.
- If you want to catch raccoons, you should use a trap with a mesh size of 12 inches or less on its back so that the animals can’t get the bait from the outside.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Connecticut?
Yes, it’s legal in CN to use a pellet gun to shoot a squirrel. In Connecticut, you can hunt with air guns like BB guns, but you can only use ones that shoot a single pellet or ball. Other than that, they have to follow the same rules as rifles and handguns.
Connecticut has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. In the state, BB guns, long knives, switchblades, police batons, and martial arts weapons are all considered dangerous. Most laws about dangerous weapons aren’t as detailed as laws about guns, but Connecticut’s law is pretty detailed. With a few exceptions, it is against the law in Connecticut to carry a BB gun.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Connecticut
It’s legal to shoot squirrels on both private and public property. On public land in Connecticut, there is a time when it is legal to hunt grey squirrels. Only a licensed hunter or the owner of the land can shoot, and hunters must follow all laws and rules about what weapons and ammunition they can use.
Unless the animal is actively causing harm to the homeowner’s property or is a clear threat to public safety, homeowners are not allowed to trap or shoot wildlife outside of the appropriate seasons.
When it comes to squirrel hunting, Connecticut has lots to offer. There are many kinds of squirrels in the state, such as the red squirrel, the grey squirrel, and the fox squirrel. There are also a lot of good places to hunt, like forests, fields, and even cities.
Hunting squirrels can be both difficult and fun. It takes patience, stealth, and good shooting skills. But it’s also a lot of fun, and it’s a great way to get outside and enjoy the beauty of Connecticut’s landscapes.