The large population of squirrels in Wyoming is posing an excellent pest problem. The residents of Wyoming are looking for ways to get rid of them. That is why the people of Wyoming should know the laws to trap and hunt squirrels in Wyoming.
The non-residents need to have a licensed guide or a resident companion to hunt in the wild areas. However, the residents need a non-commercial guide from the Fish and Game office. Hunters need certain licenses for tracking down the game species.
This article will guide you through trapping and hunting squirrels in Wyoming. Furthermore, it will inform you how to hunt them down by keeping in line with the authorities. Moreover, it will give you guidelines regarding shooting squirrels.
Squirrel Types Found In Wyoming
There are mainly four types of squirrels in Wyoming. Their information is given as follows:
American Red Squirrel
It is the native specie of the state of Wyoming. Moreover, they have the largest population in the state of Wyoming. These squirrels die early as the predators eat them. Though they are many, they still need to come across.
The fox squirrels are 17.7 to 27.6 inches in length. Moreover, their maximum age limit is up to 18 years. The females live longer than the males. The fox squirrels are overhunted, and for this season, they finish out early.
They resemble the Eurasian red squirrels in appearance. They live close to the Ponderosa pine trees. To hunt them, you must go to the coniferous forests of Wyoming.
They are a nocturnal species of squirrels. Hence, they come out at night to search for food. It is very difficult to track them down and hunt them. Flying squirrels are the prey of owls.
Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt in Wyoming?
There are many types of squirrels in Wyoming. The hunter should know the ones they can kill and the ones they can’t:
- The authorities permit the hunting of red squirrels in Wyoming
- The hunters can hunt grey squirrels in Wyoming during the open season
- It isn’t legal to kill ground squirrels.
- It is legal to aim for the red fox squirrels in Wyoming
- Any resident can kill a squirrel if it is causing property damage or has become a threat in any other way.
Squirrels Hunting Season In Wyoming
Like every other state in America, Wyoming also has a particular hunting season. It begins on the 1st of September. This month, hunters from all over Wyoming can bring out firearms to hunt down squirrels. The hunting season comes to a close by the end of March.
The Wyoming game and fish commission decides the open season duration. Wyoming has one of the longest hunting seasons in the state of America. That is why the hunters prefer this state. Moreover, the hunters find sufficient squirrels to kill and use them for other purposes.
Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In Wyoming
Many laws govern the trapping of squirrels in Wyoming. Here are some of them:
- Private landowners can trap squirrels on their property
- Private landowners can also permit hunters from outside to do the trapping.
- The Wyoming department of game and fish commission issues licenses for trapping squirrels.
- It is permissible to place the traps on hike trails and public places.
- It is not legal to place traps within 30 feet of the main road
- Leg-hold traps and snares are permissible. However, no body-gripping traps are permissible that injure the body.
Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels Wyoming
Many laws govern the shooting and hunting of squirrels in Wyoming. They are as follows:
- People over 18 can hold a license to hunt down squirrels.
- The department of Wyoming game and fish commission is responsible for issuing hunting and shooting licenses to individuals.
- The hunters should apply for the license online before the open season begins.
- The authorities do not permit the use of deadly weapons for hunting.
- Authorities do not permit hunting in the late hours of the night.
- It is permissible to go hunting individually as well as in groups.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Wyoming?
There are many legal ways to shoot squirrels in Wyoming. The authorities like
- It is permissible to hunt down small game species with archery equipment.
- The daily possession limit of red, grey, and fox squirrels is 10.
- The bag limit of squirrels is 20.
- The Wyoming State Law allows using slingshots, small caliber rifles, bows, pellet guns, and arrows to hunt squirrels.
- However, any weapon that causes explosion or gas propulsion is illegal.
- The hunters can only hunt outside the premises of the state. It is illegal to aim for a shot within the city boundaries.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Wyoming?
Yes, shooting squirrels with a pellet gun in Wyoming is legal. However, only those pellet guns are permissible, which are of small caliber. This usually involves guns that are 0.22 caliber or 0.177 calibers. Additionally, the state of Wyoming is not stringent about firearms. The hunters have a range of options to choose from.
That is why they can also opt for hunting through archery equipment. However, the state of Wyoming does not allow hunters to use guns in the range of public parks or residential areas. The hunters who do so face harsh consequences from authorities.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Wyoming?
Yes, it is legal to shoot squirrels on property in Wyoming. However, the landowners can only shoot in the open season. In an emergency where the squirrels are causing harm, it is legal to shoot in self-defense. Moreover, those people who have their land in a general permit area can buy that permit and allow others to hunt on their land too.
Furthermore, the hunter’s license must have the signature of the landlord or its agent before hunting on a privately owned property. This is done to show authorities that permission has been given.
On the whole, the state of Wyoming greatly facilitates its hunters when it comes to hunting and shooting squirrels. The authorities issue licenses timely so that hunters can begin hunting timely. Moreover, hunters must remember the essential regulations before going to the shooting ranges.
The hunters also need to know about the squirrels they can legally kill and which they cannot. Moreover, they must have complete knowledge about the firearms they can use during hunting. It is also permissible to hunt on private properties only if the owner gives permission.