Pigeons are annoying and loud. Waking up to the birds chirping sounds fancy and relaxing. But it will eventually cause disturbance when the pigeon decides to make your house their permanent residence. So, is it illegal to kill pigeons in Mississippi?
No. It is not illegal to kill pigeons in Mississippi. You can take down annoying pigeon species at any time. But, a few pigeon species in states are protected pigeons. They are classified as migratory birds. You can’t hunt these until the small games.
Migratory pigeons as also known as game birds. Continue reading the article to learn more about pigeon species and their hunting schedule in Mississippi.
- 1 Which Type Of Pigeons Are Illegal To Hunt And Eat In Mississippi?
- 2 Why Is It Illegal To Hunt And Eat Pigeon In Mississippi?
- 3 Laws Governing About Pigeon Shooting In Mississippi State
- 4 How Can You Shoot And Hunt Pigeons In Mississippi state?
- 5 Summing Up
Which Type Of Pigeons Are Illegal To Hunt And Eat In Mississippi?
You can take hunt and eat all pigeon species in Mississippi. The pigeon species living in the state are Eurasian-collared doves, Rock pigeons, Mourning doves, White-winged doves, and Common ground doves. The last three dove species are migratory. So, you cannot take them down until small games.
These doves are also known as game birds. So, hunters can only hunt these doves during gaming festivals. The small games begin in September and end in January. The schedule of hunting can vary yearly depending on the breeding season. Hunting these doves off-season is illegal. So, it is better to know their features ahead of hunting.
Mourning doves are overall tan or greyish brown. They have black spots on their wings and long thin tails. Plus, their eyes have a distinctive blue eye ring.
White Winged Dove
White-winged doves are pale greyish-brown doves. They have white strips on the edge of the wings. Plus, their tail is short and squared-tipped. You can also see a distinctive black mark on their cheek.
Common grounds are small, only a few centimeters longer than a sparrow. They are overall grey-brown with a pink tint to their frontal part. Common ground doves are small-headed with dark spots on their wings. You can clearly see the scale pattern on their breast and neck.
Why Is It Illegal To Hunt And Eat Pigeon In Mississippi?
In Mississippi, it is not illegal to hunt and eat pigeons. However, state authorities don’t allow migratory dove hunting off-season. Migratory pigeons or doves are those birds that travel according to the climate. These birds are part of the act called MBTA or Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
It was signed in 1918 by the USA and other countries. According to this act, it is unlawful to harm, kill, trade or transport such birds without federal authorities’ permission. In Mississippi, you can hunt them during small games.
But there is a daily bag count and possession limit. The daily bag count is the number of doves you can hunt, which is 15. But a possession limit is the number of doves you can possess, and it is 45.
Hunting more birds than this limit is forbidden. You can eat the dove you have harvested during the game. But it is better to avoid the meat of Feral pigeons considering they carry pathogens.
Laws Governing About Pigeon Shooting In Mississippi State
It is the duty of every citizen to live their life in accordance with the law. Similarly, hunters are required to follow a set of rules. These laws are to conserve wildlife and to ensure safe hunting within limits. They are also the most effective way to control the population of pigeons.
The following are the most essential that you must know before hunting.
Hunting Course and License
- All residents aged 16 to 64 must have a hunting license except while hunting on their land. Any hunter above 65 or older is free from obtaining a hunting license. But, they must have their documentation with them all time. (MS. Code 49-7-5)
- All non-residents, except minors under 16, must obtain their hunting license in Mississippi.
- Hunters education course is essential for all born on or after January 1, 1972. The hunting license will be revoked or canceled if it shows that the holder was not eligible to obtain it. (MS. Code 49-7-20)
- It is also unlawful to issue a hunting license to any person without proof of a hunting education course certificate.
- Any person that obtains a hunting license by illegal means or makes a hunting license in someone else name will have to pay a fine of $2000 or maybe be imprisoned for a year.
- As of July 1, 2000, young hunters ages 12 to 16 must have a hunting education course certificate with good enough remarks.
- If the child doesn’t have the certificate, they can still hunt. But must be under the direct supervision of a licensed hunter age 21 or above.
- From July 31, 2020, residents twelve and above can complete their hunting education class online.
- Students under 12 (10 to 11) can obtain their certificate by taking a classroom course.
Physically Impaired Hunters
- Residents that are visually impaired, paraplegic, multiple amputated, and disabled veterans are not required to purchase hunting certificates. (MS. Code 49-7-5 and 49-7-9). However, they must carry their proof of age, residence, and disability status along with them while engaging in hunting activities.
Hunting Hours and Weapons
- Legal pigeon shooting hours begin a half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- Legal hunting weapons are air rifles and shotguns. Handguns or air rifles must not have cartilage longer than .22. The shotguns must not have a cartilage larger than No.6. Plus, shotguns must not hold more than three pallets while hunting migratory doves.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Pigeons In Mississippi state?
Mississippi state has a set of rules to assist you in hunting on and off-season. Below are some pointers to help you in pigeon shooting and hunting. If you are a beginner no need to worry, these points will assist you.
- You can purchase the hunting license online or via an agent. So you must have a valid Social security number and Hunter’s Education certificate.
- Hunters must pass this course with at least eighty percent marks to purchase a hunting license.
- Carry your hunting license and permit on the field. The hunting license can be in print or on a soft copy.
- The dove hunting season is split into two zones North and South zone.
- Hunting in both zones is further divided into three seasons. The days for the season can vary each year. So check the official website before going on dove hunting.
- It is not legal to use the weapon on Sunday. Therefore, dove hunting is forbidden.
- The authorities prohibit decoys, traps, and electronic callings to hunt pigeons or doves.
- It is not legal to hunt on public roads, streets, highways, leave or any railroad. It is also illegal to hunt birds from a motorized vehicle or boat.
- Wear at least 500 meters of blaze pink or orange clothing on the hunting field.
- After harvesting, separate pigeons in each bag according to the species.
- Submit each species count to the wildlife authorities.
It is legal to kill pigeons in Mississippi. The wildlife allows individuals to eliminate pigeons from their surroundings. You can kill, shoot and hunt pigeons freely. But, it is illegal to cause harm to Migratory pigeons or doves. These pigeon species are under the protection of federal authorities, and you can’t hunt them all year. To shoot these doves, hunters must participate in a small game.
Shooting and hunting pigeons are easy if you know the rules. So, go through all the laws on the website before planning to take down any pigeons. Remember, it is essential to have a hunting license to shoot protected or unprotected species.