In Utah, squirrels can cause the same damage as other rodents. A squirrel can chew wiring and structural materials in a home. Please find out how to get rid of squirrels by looking up the laws to trap and hunt squirrels in Utah.
You need a license to hunt squirrels in Utah. Utah’s Wildlife Division issues licenses to trap and hunt squirrels. You can track any game animal with a hunting license.
In Utah, squirrels aren’t an endangered species. The DNR enforces some regulations on its territory. This blog tells you how to hunt for squirrels in Utah.
Squirrel Types Found In Utah
There are four types of squirrels in Utah.
The American Red Squirrel
Since their food consists solely of the seeds of evergreen trees, these squirrels are exclusive to woods dominated by coniferous trees. They have evolved to live in suburban and urban areas and eat various things, including bird eggs, acorns, hazelnuts, mushrooms, mice, and even sunflower seeds from bird feeders in backyards and parks.
This thing has allowed them to survive in these environments. People have seen American Red Squirrels tap maple trees for their sweet sap because they like sweet things.
The common name for Abert’s Squirrels, also known as Tassel-eared Squirrels, comes from the unique tufts of fur that dangle from their ears. You can recognize them by the protruding tufts of hair behind their ears.
In addition to a patch of rusty brown hair on its back, this species can be distinguished by its dark grey coat, white belly, and white feet. They resemble the lovely Eurasian Red Squirrel in every way except for color. Utah contains Abert’s Squirrels. They favor living in coniferous forests near the Ponderosa Pine.
Northern Flying Squirrel
Although they are nocturnal, these flying squirrels share a diet with tree squirrels by feasting on nuts and acorns. But that’s not what they eat regularly. Their primary diet consists of fungi like mushrooms and lichens. In addition to mammals and plants, humans consume insects, bird eggs, and tree sap.
Arctic Flight Unlike other types of squirrels, don’t save away a lot of food for the winter. Because they are active all year round, they don’t have to store as much food as other squirrels. On the other hand, when the winter season arrives and temperatures drop, several squirrels will assemble in one place for warmth.
In northern Utah, the Uinta ground squirrel is often called a “Potgut.” It’s a medium-sized ground squirrel. Their fur is brown to cinnamon in color. The underside is lighter, and the sides of the head and neck are grey. Their small ears and faces are more of a cinnamon color. The tails are brown on top and grey on the bottom.
Uinta ground squirrels are diurnal creatures. They live in groups called colonies, but when they aren’t breeding, they fight with each other. Males mark their territory by rubbing their scent glands, which are in their cheeks, on the ground.
Which Types Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt In Utah?
Utah residents and visitors can go hunting in a number of different ways.
- In the state of Utah, fox squirrels don’t have a specific hunting season set for them. Accordingly, fox squirrels can be legally shot at any time of the year.
- Keep in mind that the majority of fox squirrels inhabit urban and suburban environments.
- If you want to hunt other kinds of squirrels in Utah, you will need to buy a hunting license.
- Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources is where you can apply for a hunting or fishing license. Possession of a valid hunting license entitles its holder to pursue any and all game animals.
Squirrels Hunting Season In Utah
There are two main times to hunt squirrels in Utah: early season and late season. August and September are the beginning of the season. The late season lasts from November to February.
There are a few things to keep in mind as you plan your trip to Utah to hunt squirrels. First, you should always check the local rules to make sure you are following all the rules and laws.
Second, know the different kinds of squirrels in Utah and how many of them there are. The red squirrel, the Abert’s squirrel, the Douglas’ squirrel, and the American red-backed vole are the main types of squirrels in Utah. The red squirrel is by far the most common of these four.
If you want to get the most out of your next trip to Utah to hunt squirrels, you might want to spend some time in areas with a lot of red squirrels.
Laws Governing The Hunting Of Squirrels In Utah
These are the only ways to hunt squirrels in Utah that are legal:
- In Utah, there are a lot of ways to hunt squirrels, but only a few are legal.
- In Utah, you need to buy a hunting license if you want to hunt squirrels.
- The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is where you can get a license.
- Shotguns and rifles are the typical tools of choice for squirrel hunting.
- You can also use a bow and arrow, but you need a hunting license to do that.
- Using a dog to hunt squirrels is also legal. The only rule is that dogs need to be on a leash at all times, and the owner has to approve of the dog killing the squirrels.
- This strategy isn’t as common as the others, but if done right, it can be helpful.
Laws Governing The Trapping And Relocating Of Squirrels In Utah
In Utah, the following laws cover squirrel trapping and moving:
- You need a trapping license to use a trap to catch a squirrel.
- When squirrels are looking for food, winter is the best time to catch them. To get them into the trap, you can use nuts or seeds as bait.
- But live raccoons can’t be imported, sold, moved, held in custody, or owned in Utah unless the State Veterinarian’s office at the Utah Department of Agriculture and Wildlife gives permission.
- Any cable device used to catch a furbearer, coyote, or squirrel must have a breakaway lock that releases when more than 300 pounds of force is applied to the loop, except for those set in water or with a circle less than 3 inches in diameter.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In Utah?
Here are some Utah squirrel-shooting tips:
- It’s legal to shoot a squirrel, but you could get a ticket if you use a gun outside the city limits.
- It’s against the law in Utah to use a gun to kill an animal in a city. But in the country, shooting a squirrel that is causing trouble can stop more damage.
- It’s against the law to shoot furbearers or use dogs to help you catch them half an hour before sunrise and half an hour after sunset.
- The laws of Utah also say that killing animals for no reason is cruel and unethical. People should be told not to do it.
- But if squirrels are hurting you, you have to kill them, and the wildlife authorities can help you do that.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In Utah?
In the state of Utah, hunting squirrels with a pellet gun, BB gun, or air gun is not prohibited by law, and there are also no restrictions on where you can use these weapons. In the state of Utah, if you want to purchase a pellet gun, BB gun, airgun, or air rifle, you have to be at least 18 years old.
Utah lets hunters use air guns to hunt for certain animals. Coyotes and rabbits are two of these species. Local governments may also have their own rules about air guns that are different from state laws.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In Utah?
If fox squirrels are causing damage on private land, it’s legal to shoot them without a hunting license if the squirrels are in the way of other activities. At any time throughout the year, you are free to go out and shoot fox squirrels.
Keep in mind, however, that the majority of fox squirrels can be found living in and near urban and suburban settings. You are required to obtain a hunting or trapping license, in addition to a permit for regulating nuisance squirrel populations, in order to legally shoot any other species of squirrel on land that you don’t own or rent out to yourself.
It’s against the law to hunt or shoot a squirrel in Utah. In Utah, you need a license to legally hunt and kill squirrels. A local humane society, pest control business, or animal shelter may be able to help you.
It’s also against the law to move a squirrel to a new place. But there is still a chance that the animal will try to return to where it was or die from stress. To avoid spreading disease, it’s best to hire a professional to eliminate squirrels. You can always tell the authorities about your squirrel problem and have them come take a look.