Raccoons are considered a nuisance animal in the state of Florida. They are such animals that threaten public safety and can cause harm to your property, but is it legal to trap and kill raccoons in Florida?
Yes, it is legal to trap and kill Raccoons In Florida only as long as you have a hunting license and the trapping and killing are done humanely. If you are harsh in doing so, you will be charged with harming raccoons illegally.
In this article, we will go through the laws and orders of the state of Florida so that you become aware of their system. Not being fully aware can be a problem, and you may do something illegal.
- 1 Is It Legal To Trap And Relocate Raccoons In Florida?
- 2 Is It Legal To Hunt Raccoons In Florida?
- 3 Laws Governing About Raccoons Trapping In Florida
- 4 Laws Governing About Raccoons Shooting In Florida
- 5 How Can You Trap Raccoons In Florida State?
- 6 How Can You Shoot And Hunt Raccoon In Florida?
- 7 Wrapping It Up
Is It Legal To Trap And Relocate Raccoons In Florida?
Yes, it is permissible to trap a Raccoon per the terms and conditions stated in the wildlife law of the state of Florida. Raccoons can be trapped all year, and there is no limit to it.
There are specific laws to keep in mind. For instance, Raccoons are under the protection of rules written down by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. You cannot use poisons on raccoons after trapping them in cages.
Similarly, it is not permissible to use gripping body traps as they harm the animal, and raccoons may die from the injuries. The local ordinances must be checked for the legal method of killing Raccoons. Otherwise, you may land yourself in an unfair situation, and it may be hard for you to come out clean from it.
Is It Legal To Hunt Raccoons In Florida?
Raccoons are under protection by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The killing of raccoons is strongly discouraged and not permitted under normal conditions. If, however, the raccoons are wild and causing harm to you, then they can be killed.
Raccoons have been classified as nuisance animals in Florida and can be killed legally if they cause damage to your property. Killing them is also permissible when they are becoming a threat to public safety day by day.
You can also grab a firearm to kill a Raccoon if you see one in a building and it is causing harm to it. However, not all types of firearms have been classified as legal to kill. Moreover, you must get a license first and register your firearm to avoid any illegal activity.
Laws Governing About Raccoons Trapping In Florida
There are several ways by which you can get rid of Raccoons in the state of Florida. In this article, we have only listed the easy and simple ones. This includes:
- Shooting raccoons on your property only if you are a licensed user.
- Shooting raccoons in the wild, but you must have a license for it
- Hunting down raccoons with a .22 caliber gun
- Trapping Raccoons in animal-friendly cages.
- You can also trap the Raccoons from coming near your residential areas by following the simple measures that have been stated underneath:
- Putting sweet fruits as bait to lure Raccoons
- Eliminating the locking of pet doors
- Sealing trash cans in your residential area so that Raccoons are caught up in them. You can relocate them and open them later on.
Laws Governing About Raccoons Shooting In Florida
Only the people with a license can shoot Raccoons in Florida. Otherwise, it is not allowed. The authorities do not permit the discharging of any firearm inside the confines of the city or residential areas.
However, the laws are timing-specific, and people with a licensed firearm can hunt raccoons at night with a .22 caliber rim fire. This discludes the rimfires, slingshots, magnums, and the 410 shotguns. They are strongly prohibited on the premises of Florida for animal hunting.
During the day, you can hunt Raccoons in Florida, but proper permission, consent forms, and registration are needed for this particular purpose. If the authorities catch you, not many terms and conditions support you then, and you end up paying a heavy fine.
How Can You Trap Raccoons In Florida State?
Yes, you can trap raccoons in Florida, but there are specific ways to go about it. You must follow the guidelines properly to prevent yourself from getting into trouble.
- Raccoons causing damage to your property can be live-trapped without official permission.
- If you want to release it later, the site should be at least three miles away from residential areas. Otherwise, the Raccoons will return.
- For this specific purpose, a Raccoon relocation permit is required.
- The traps should not be placed in any home or attics.
- It is best to put it in the typical path of a Raccoon, where the Raccoon is likely to come and feed. Baiting is essential, too, as it will lure the Raccoons to the cages.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Raccoon In Florida?
Yes, you can shoot and hunt Raccoons on your property in Florida, but you must be aware of the rules.
- For hunting down Raccoons at night, you need an official permit from the authorities and specific guidelines like the requirement of light while hunting.
- Secondly, you need to have your hunting license at all times. You may be asked to show it if caught by the authorities.
- If you see wild nuisance animals like Raccoons ruining your property, you have full permission to hunt them down and shoot them on sight as long as it is your property.
- Usually, the only permissible firearm is the .22 caliber gun. You must only shoot if you have this in your possession.
- Choosing the right trap is also essential. Having traps that have only a single exit are preferable.
You might want to close one end permanently if you have a two-door trap. It is preferred that the live-trapped raccoons should be euthanized so that they do not spread diseases anywhere else.
Wrapping It Up
The killing of animals is not considered ethical. However, it is allowed under certain conditions. To know about them, you must be aware of the law and act accordingly. For instance, the license is quite essential, and being a registered user comes in handy too.
You can also relocate the Raccoons or kill them by Euthanasia. This is done to prevent diseases from spreading in the nearby areas and protect people. You can always inform the authorities and let them take charge if the situation gets out of hand.