Many squirrels reside in the state of New Mexico. Overpopulation of squirrels can lead to property damage and can cause economic loss. That is why the hunters need to learn about the laws to trap and hunt squirrels in New Mexico.
The hunters need a license to start their hunting and trapping. The hunters can make use of firearms to go hunting. However, for trapping, the laws are separate.
In this blog, we will read about the rules and regulations of hunting and trapping squirrels in New Mexico. We are also going to take a look at the varieties of squirrels prevalent in New Mexico.
Squirrel Types Found In New Mexico
There are many squirrels in the state of New Mexico. We are going to read about each one of them briefly:
American Red Squirrel
The American red squirrels are quite prominent due to their distinct color. It belongs to the species of tree squirrels. They also go by the name of pine squirrels. These squirrels prefer feeding on the conifer cones and are distributed across the North.
The fox squirrels are the largest tree squirrels in America. They can be as long as 13 inches and weigh up to 2 lbs. It isn’t easy to differentiate between male and female squirrels in America.
The Abert’s squirrels are 18 to 23 inches long and weigh about 19 to 34 pounds. They also go by the name of Tassel-eared squirrels. They are unique squirrels with dark grey coats and a white underbelly.
Arizona Grey Squirrel
The Arizona grey squirrels are far and few. They have a narrow range and reside only in parts of New Mexico and Arizona. They usually prefer living in the mountains. The hunters can spot them in the wood of deciduous forests.
Which Type Of Squirrels Are Legal To Hunt in New Mexico?
There are many squirrels the hunters can hunt. On the contrary, there are many they cant hunt. Here is a list of them:
- It is permissible to chase the American Red squirrels in New Mexico
- The hunters can also track the Abert squirrels in the mountains of New Mexico
- The authorities also permit the hunting of fox squirrels.
- The hunters can also take firearms to hunt down grey squirrels in New Mexico.
- It is illegal to hunt the Arizona grey squirrels in New Mexico.
Squirrels Hunting Season In New Mexico
Like every other state in America, New Mexico also has a particular hunting season. This time duration is also known as the open season in America. The hunters, whether resident or non-resident, can come out with their weapons in September. Hunting season extends till the end of the year.
It finishes on 31st December. After this, the authorities do not allow the hunters to hunt down squirrels. Each hunter must ensure that their license has not crossed the expiry date before the open season begins. Otherwise, the rules will not allow that particular hunter to hunt.
Laws Governing Trapping Of Squirrels In New Mexico
There are many ways by which you can trap squirrels in New Mexico. Here are the ones which the authorities approve:
- The authorities encourage the use of steel traps for trapping squirrels.
- It is illegal to use body-gripping traps when it comes to capturing squirrels.
- You can install motion-detecting devices. This will help you detect squirrels’ presence in New Mexico before trapping them.
- You cannot keep squirrels as a pet in Mexico. Hence, you have to kill the squirrel after you have captured it.
Laws Governing Shooting And Hunting Of Squirrels New Mexico
Many laws govern the hunting and shooting of squirrels in New Mexico. Here are the ones:
- The hunters must have their licenses all the time during hunting season and especially during the hunting hours
- Each hunter can grab up to eight squirrels per day
- The hunters can possess up to sixteen squirrels in a day
- It is illegal to go hunting at night in New Mexico.
- For non-game species, the hunters need no license.
How Can You Shoot And Hunt Squirrels In New Mexico?
There are a number of firearms you can use for hunting squirrels. The New Mexico Game and Fish approve them, and hunters can use them to go hunting:
- The hunters can use rifles of 0.22 caliber for hunting
- The authorities also permit the use of shotguns
- Hunters can also use small handguns of small caliber for hunting down the squirrels
- The hunters can start hunting before sunrise
- Hunters cannot hunt after the sun-sets
- Only those hunters can have a firearm with a separate license for it.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels With A Pellet Gun In New Mexico?
Yes, shooting squirrels with a pellet gun in New Mexico is legal. However, only those individuals can use pellet guns who are over the age of 18. After crossing this age, they must get a license from the authorities.
It is illegal to shoot in any way that may harm the buildings or injure a person. According to the National Rifle Association, targeted firing is permissible only as long as it is within a specific range. Furthermore, even for targeted firing, you need a special permit from the Mayor.
Is It Legal To Shoot Squirrels On Property In New Mexico?
Yes, it is legal to shoot squirrels on property in New Mexico. However, it comes with conditions. You can either obtain a license through the annual big game draw. There is another way of getting consent too. The hunters can purchase a private landowner tag which allows one to hunt on private land only.
In Mexico, the regulations for a license are suitable. That is why the hunters should have valid permission from them at all times. The conservation officer can ask hunters to produce their validation at any time.
On the whole, many laws regulate the trapping and hunting of squirrels in New Mexico. The hunters must obtain all the necessary licenses from the authorities timely. They must only go hunting in the open season. Moreover, the hunters must keep in mind to chase only legal squirrels.
Furthermore, the hunters use legal trapping methods. Use of any illegal means will result in a fine. Moreover, hunters should use such firearms that cause no harm to the residency areas or public places. They should not come out of their shooting range.