In almost all states of the USA, the raccoon is a common animal. It is known for both its cute face and at the same time nuisance behavior. Property owners often ignore their nuisance behavior but can´t do it every time. so, is it legal to trap and kill raccoons in Maryland?
No, it is illegal to trap and kill raccoons in Maryland. A license from the state of Maryland to trap, relocate, or euthanize wildlife posing a threat to people’s homes, places of business, or other properties, is necessary.
In this article, we will read about a few Maryland laws regarding the trapping of raccoons. Moreover, we will also look at all the rules that allow one to kill a raccoon in Maryland. It is only permissible under certain conditions.
- 1 Is It Legal to Trap and Relocate Raccoons in Maryland?
- 2 Is It Legal to Hunt Raccoons in Maryland?
- 3 Laws Governing Raccoons Trapping in Maryland
- 4 Laws Governing About Raccoon Shootings in Maryland
- 5 How Can You Trap Raccoons in Maryland?
- 6 How Can You Shoot and Hunt Raccoons in Maryland?
- 7 Wrapping it up
Is It Legal to Trap and Relocate Raccoons in Maryland?
In Maryland, raccoon trapping is only allowed with the landowner’s authorization. Call the Maryland Nuisance Wildlife Hotline at 877-463-6497 to request this free permit. Licensees must follow the license’s conditions and any regional gun laws.
Possession of live raccoons is forbidden. Unless a person obtains a permit from the Department, they cannot own any live raccoons or opossums. Any raccoon caught by a hunter or trapper must be instantly put to death.
The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 08.03. 15.24 forbids the relocation of rabies-vector raccoons.
Is It Legal to Hunt Raccoons in Maryland?
Only in the three defined places is raccoon hunting permitted. If DNR staff think it necessary, hunting areas may be changed, closed, or relocated without prior notification.
The raccoon-targeting wildlife killing competitions have been outlawed in Maryland. Except in a few limited circumstances, firing any form of a firearm within city borders is generally prohibited.
On your property outside of the city, you are normally permitted to fire a weapon if it is not automatic. If you do not have a lot of shooting experience, you run the risk of hurting the animal and giving it a horrible and slow death.
Laws Governing Raccoons Trapping in Maryland
A person must first obtain a permit from the Department before they are allowed to own any live raccoons. Steel traps or similar devices may be placed or used at any time by an owner or agent to capture raccoons or opossums that are causing damage to property.
Raccoons should be caught by Maryland Licensed Wildlife Damage Control Operators because they can become hostile when confined and because of the risk of rabies.
Box or cage traps are the only live traps allowed. All wildlife that has been live trapped must be released immediately or removed using any authorized means.
Laws Governing About Raccoon Shootings in Maryland
Any raccoon or opossum that a hunter or trapper captures must be instantly put to death. Only by reservation is raccoon hunting allowed. The Fair Hill Park office must be contacted with reservations no later than two weeks before the chosen hunting date.
Raccoon Hunting hours are begun at sunset each day and end at 2400 hours (midnight). Hunting is only permitted on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Hunters and dogs must return to their vehicles no later than 2400 hours.
Each raccoon hunting team is only permitted to have a maximum of three people and five dogs. It is against the law to hunt raccoons without raccoon-hunting hounds. All dogs must receive rabies vaccinations.
How Can You Trap Raccoons in Maryland?
Raccoons are simple to capture with traps.
- Box or cage traps should be employed.
- Use a sturdy trap that is at least 10 by 12 by 32 inches in size.
- Make sure the area around the trap is clear of anything a raccoon could grab and pull toward the trap before setting it down on a flat surface.
- A protective plywood piece or another barrier that reaches about one foot out on all sides is required to prevent shingles from being ripped when cage traps are installed on rooftops.
- Anchor-baited cage traps with stakes to stop them from rolling over.
- Bait the traps with delicious fruit (such as cherries or grapes), marshmallows, or jam.
How Can You Shoot and Hunt Raccoons in Maryland?
- Use a. 22-caliber rifle or pistol to kill it humanely.
- The firearm must always be in possession of the permit holder.
- All other firearms and weapons, including hunting bows, are forbidden during raccoon hunts, whether they are in a hunter’s possession or in a vehicle.
- Use a carbon dioxide chamber.
- Do not shoot the raccoon in the head if it will be tested for rabies.
- Local safety regulations and state shooting laws frequently forbid the discharge of weapons in populated areas.
Having a firearm other than the one registered is considered illegal. Therefore, you can only possess the licensed ones.
Wrapping it up
Killing and trapping of nuisance raccoons are not permissible in Maryland state. There are certain rules and regulations of the state that you must abide by. Failing to do so can result in fine and illegal conduct.
A licensed person is allowed to kill raccoons if they mean to cause you harm. You can always report the authorities and have them come over to look at your raccoon problem. Before you trap or go hunting, check your local laws.